History of the Scantic River
Named for the Scantuck Indians, the Scantic River watershed drains some 90,000 acres in Connecticut and Massachusetts. It is fed by several
small tributaries, of which many are considered “Class A” water quality (suitable for drinking).
The Town of Hampden, Mass., settled in 1841, contains a substantial number of Scantic River miles and in the past, these miles hosted a
number of flourishing mills. Dependent upon the Scantic’s water power, the mills prospered but as the years passed a lack of transportation from mill site to
market made commerce increasingly difficult until gradually the mill wheels fell silent. Ruins of the mills are still evident.
Host of seasonal runs of shad and salmon, the river was a source of food, waterpower and irrigation for early settlers of the area. In
the 1800’s, Colonel Augustus Hazard founded the Hazard Powder Company, on the banks of the Scantic in what became Hazardville. The company supplied the Union
armies during the Civil War with much of its gunpowder. The Hazard Powder Company disappeared in a mighty blast in 1913; however, some of the foundations
are still intact and the area is now known as “Powder Hollow”.
In 1728, Ebenezer Grant of East Windsor built a shipyard at the confluence of the Scantic and Connecticut Rivers. Located just below
the Enfield Rapids, the enterprise thrived until some time after 1812, when it gradually came to a close.
There is a great deal more history about the Scantic, which we hope to publish in the near future. Anyone having information or
anecdotes please contact us at SRWAMembers@gmail.com
or SRWA, Box 303, Somers, CT 06071.